Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Shutter Angle Strategies...

  1. #1
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I tend to shoot more time-exposure footage and I really like wider shutter angles because they translate into longer exposure times, which translates into more light "sensitivity", which translates into more film stock choices for lower light scenes.

    However, smaller shutter angles are used all the time, especially in hip hop music videos and fast paced commercials...etc.

    Do you have any experience with smaller shutter angles, do you like the look it produces, what is the smallest shutter angle you have worked with?

    Do you only go with smaller shutter angles for outdoor shots because of the loss of exposure time?

    Do you like to use smaller shutter angles primarly when shooting close-ups, or for medium shots, or for wide shots?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool



    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 29, 2003 06:47 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font>

  3. #3
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, I messed up the opening sentence. I meant to say that because I primarily shoot time-exposures and I like the wider angle shutters because I can shoot in low light with Kodachrome 40, I haven't done a lot with shorter shutter-angles and quicker shutter speeds.

    I think the strobey aspect noticed on your footage works well on music video's, especially music that has hard cutting edge beats.

    Cameraguy, have you ever tried combining rap music or quick tempo music to the footage you shot at 41.25 degree shutter angle, and seeing what the effect is like?

    Did you use a Nizo for the 1/4 degree shutter opening?

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just Saw "Bend it Like Beckham". Liked it.

    Definitely used the smaller shutter angles to produce that stroby kind of look.

    The Sharp, Stroby look is in!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •